There is enormous potential for value addition in animal products as a result of the following;
- Rwanda produces 25% of the East African Community’s fresh cow milk .
- Rwandan rural area accounts for 75% of all milk consumed
- 91% of the market is for fresh and unprocessed
- The bulk of the milk is sold through informal channels.
- There is lack of adequate cold chain infrastructure
- About 38% of milk is lost due to spoilage while processors are currently operating at 20% of their installed capacity.
Therefore the value addition for the animals products include;
- Milk coolers
- Removing bones especially from meat
- Installing cooling systems
Challenges with value addition in Rwanda
- Lack of adequate cold-chain infrastructure makes the distribution inefficient
- Lack of access to credit Facilities
- Poor rural infrastructure and weak land title
- High costs of purchasing equipments