The Ministry of Sports and Culture is responsible for developing, coordinating, monitoring, evaluating and supporting the implementation of policies and strategies that promote sports and cultural development initiatives that lead to the economic and social transformation as well as to a productive and patriotic generation.
Functions of the Ministry
The functions of the ministry are as follows;
- Ensure that sports and culture policies and strategies are disseminated and appropriately implemented to attain the intended results.
- Elaborate the guidelines to orient different stakeholders in Sports and Culture.
- Develop, disseminate and implement standards and norms applicable to the sub sectors.
- Ensure alignment and harmonization of the ministry’s programs with the Government strategies such as Vision2020 and EDPRS.
- Build the capacity and support the institutions that support the development of Sports and Culture.
- Put in place infrastructural facilities that support the development and sustainability of sports, recreational and cultural programs.
- Promote research and development of cultural and sport activities.
- Strengthen, rationalize and coordinate actions within Government institutions, private sector, civil society, and other partners with an aim of uplifting and promoting sports and culture.
- Set up and implement a monitoring and evaluation system that helps to measure the progress and impact in the Sports and Culture.
- Provide strategic guidance and orientations on specific programs to the institutions under the Ministry’s supervision to ensure alignment with Strategic vision of the country
- Supervise the functioning and management of affiliated institutions and agencies of the ministry for efficiency and effectiveness.
- Source and mobilize resources to implement policies, strategies and programs in the sports and culture.
The agencies under the ministry are as follows;
- Institute of National Museums of Rwanda
- National Library and Archives
- The National Commission for the Fight Against Genocide
- Rwandan Academy of Language and Culture
- The Chancellor of Heroes, National Orders and Decorations of honor.