The ministry is responsible for ensuring the sustainable development of infrastructure and contributes to economic growth with a view to enhancing the quality of life of the population.
The functions of the ministry are as follows;
- For developing institutional and legal frameworks, national policies, strategies and master plans relating to transport, energy, habitat and urbanism, meteorology, water and sanitation subsectors.
- Initiate programmes to develop, rehabilitate and maintain an efficient and integrated national transport infrastructure network.
- Develop and maintain sustainable power generation facilities to supply clean, cost-effective and uninterrupted energy for the country and the region.
- Facilitate urban development programmes with a view to providing affordable shelter with due regard to adequate water and sanitation facilities for the population.
- Increasing access to affordable energy, water and sanitation and transport infrastructure and related services for the population.
- Ensuring that the development of policies and strategies concerning national infrastructure are in line with regional integration and harmonization policies with the EAC.
- To support and supervise infrastructure development programmes under the decentralised structures under the respective sub-sectors as per the District Development Programmes in each district.
- To supervise actions to mobilise resources and partnerships in the area of infrastructure and mobilise resources for MININFRA programmes.
The agencies under the ministry include;
- Road Maintenance Fund
- Rwanda Housing Authority
- Rwanda Transport Development Agency
- Rwanda Civil Aviation Authority
- Energy, Water and Sanitation Authority