Steps to prepare compost manure
- Clear a corner of the backyard by the fence or near the edge of the garden for the compost pile or bin.
- Construct a compost bin.
- Collect fallen leaves, evergreen needles and woody matter, including bark, twigs and branches, sawdust, wood chips and put them into the bin.
- Avoid using meat and dairy products, including meat and fish bones, oils and grease, carnivorous animal manure.
- Add safe animal manures to the compost heap like from grass, grain and heavy eaters, such as horses, rabbits, cows and poultry.
- Moisten the pile periodically.
- Watch for the pile to settle, a sign that the composting is working.
- Check for signs that the compost is finished in one to four months and it is ready to use when all the materials turn into a clean-smelling, crumbly, earth-like brown substance.