Rwanda industrial and Trade Observatory is a project of the Ministry of Trade and Industry (MINICOM) which was started in October 2008 with the support of the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) with a purpose of strengthening of industrial governance in Rwanda.
It is an Industrial Studies Technical Unit (ISTU) whose overriding goal is to promote industrial competitiveness through the provision of relevant analysis based on recent relevant data.
This is a specialized unit which in the long run will change the structure of industry and improve the people’s living standards.
It comprises of the formulation, regular adjustment and effective implementation of realistic industrial development strategies and policies
It is critically dependent on the closest possible coordination and cooperation among the main stakeholder groups (government, private sector and industrial support institutions).
Roles and Functions
- Rwanda industrial and trade observatory assists in the installation and early operation of industrial policy studies and advisory platform to improve the country’s industrial governance capacities
- monitoring and regular reporting of the country’s industrial performance and capabilities and thus provide the basis for informed policy decisions on industrial development issues.
- One of the core functions of Industrial and Trade Observatory will be to disseminate information of interest to the decision makers, the Public and Private sectors and stakeholder institutions.
The general stated objectives of the Industrial and trade Observatory are as follows:
- Provide Capacity Building in Industrial Analysis techniques
- Monitor industrial trends
- Provide evidence based inputs to Policy formulation.
- Monitor progress on industrial and trade Policy implementation
- Provide an inter– institutional platform for technical analysis and collaboration on issues relevant to industrial sector development
- The Tasks of the Industrial and Trade Observatory are expected to include :
- Regular Reports on Industrial trends, composition, growth, etc..
- Annual competitiveness report
Key Stakeholder Institutions
- The Ministry of Trade and Industry (MINICOM)
- National Bank of Rwanda (BNR)
- National Institute of Statistics of Rwanda (NISR)
- Private Sector Federation (PSF)
- Rwanda Development Board(RDB)
- Strategic Planning Unit (PSU)
- Institute of Policy Analysis and Research (IPAR)
- Ministry of Agriculture and Animal Resources (MINAGRI)
- Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning (MINECOFIN)