Rwanda’s Health Sector services are provided through the public facilities, government assisted health facilities (GAHFs), private health facilities and traditional healers.
The key players in the provision of quality social services and the promotion of healthy population include the following
- Ministry of health
- National Drug Authority
- Rwanda Medical Association
- Rwanda Health Insurance
- National Aids Control Commission
- Central Drug Purchasing Agency
Characteristics of Health Sector
- The fertility rate is high and the population has been increasing at an annual rate of about 2.8%
- Donor inputs account for well over 70% of health sector funding.
- There is Community health insurance in Rwanda
- Malaria morbidity in health centres has reduced and higher use of clinics has helped drive down incidence.
- The government established the Kigali Health Institute which is charged principally with training nurses and technicians for the health sector.
Current situation in the sector
Rwandan health sector is ranked top in East Africa because of its strong health insurance coverage which makes the health sector stand out. Most importantly is that most of the health insurance services are offered by the government to cover medical services for its citizens mostly the vulnerable.
There have been some significant improvements in the health sector. The government campaign for HIV/AIDS has yielded a downward trend in the prevalence of the disease. The current prevalence is 2.9%.
Health infrastructure in Rwanda
The Access Project functions on the premise that in order to sustainably improve health outcomes, every community to have access to a permanent local health facility that offers a full range of services, including HIV prevention and treatment programs, tuberculosis treatment, prenatal care, family planning and maternity care. The Rwanda Ministry of Health has determined that one health centre is needed for each sector of approximately 15,000-25,000 people, though there are still many sectors today that are in need of a health facility.
Investment opportunities in Health Sector Rwanda
- Health facilities such as clinics and health posts
- Pharmaceutical plant
- Distribution network of pharmaceutical products
- Training of health professionals
- Security and government stability
- Donor friendliness