Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Investment of South Sudan (MOCII)
The Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Investment of South Sudan has the mandate to promote investment within and into South Sudan. To facilitate execution of this mandate it has established the South Sudan Investment Authority.
The Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Investment guides one through the process of obtaining all relevant licenses and permits. It is only through obtaining the investor certificate from or register investment at the Ministry that one can then be entitled to receive all other permits and licenses to become fully operational. The process is automatic once one has been granted the investor certificate or registered investment at the Ministry.
Functions of Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Investment of South Sudan
- To actively promote investments into South Sudan
- To initiate and support measures to improve the investment climate in South Sudan
- To collect, analyze and disseminate information on existing investment opportunities
- To brand and project the image of South Sudan as an attractive destination for investors
- To advise the Government of South Sudan on investment policy.
Investment Promotion Act
The Investment Promotion Act, 2009 that was established to provide for the promotion and facilitation of investment in South Sudan and the creation of the administrative, operational and government framework of the South Sudan Investment Authority.
South Sudan investment Authority
Objectives of the Authority
- The objects of the Authority shall be to encourage and promote domestic and foreign investments in Southern Sudan, in order to;
- effectively strengthen and diversify the economy of Southern Sudan
- promote surplus production, economic growth and development, realize self sufficiency and creation of surplus for export
- generate and regulate employment, directly or indirectly for Southern Sudanese through multiplier effect
- contribute towards the realization of economic co-operation and integration with regional and international communities
- regulate and contribute towards poverty eradication and
- Promote and develop sustainable utilization of natural resources of Southern Sudan.
- The Authority shall be the Government agency responsible for promotion of investments in South Sudan and shall facilitate all investment activities to which this Act applies
Functions of the South Sudan investment Authority
- actively promote investments into South Sudan, and shall;
- initiate and support measures that will enhance the investment climate for both national and non-national enterprises and persons;
- collect, collate, analyze and efficiently disseminate information about investment opportunities and sources of investment capital, incentives available to investors and the investment climate;
- keep records of all enterprises to which this Act is applicable;
- initiate, organize and develop image-building activities to represent Southern Sudan as an ideal investment destination and engage in such other promotional activities for investments;
- provide advice to the Government on investment policy in general, and where appropriate, focus economic sectors for investment encouragement; and
- promote decentralization of investment activities in accordance with the development policies of the Government of Southern Sudan;
- provide facilitation services to investors interested to invest in Southern Sudan, and shall;
- assist investors by providing support services, including assistance to procure authorizations and permits required for the establishment and operation of enterprises; and
- facilitate and coordinate between public and private sector on investment related matters; and
- Receive and process applications for investment certificates.