Rabbits in Rwanda are reared for their meat and skin. The population of rabbits in Rwanda is estimated at 498.401.
Types of Rabbit Include
The types of rabbits kept include the following;
- American Albino
- Checkered Giant
- Flemish Giant
Benefits of Rearing Rabbits
- Rabbits are easy to house.
- They have a short gestation period of 30 to 31 days.
- They are also highly productive, a female rabbit can reproduce about four times a year with an average of 6 to 8 in a litter.
- They have a rearing period of six to eight weeks which is short when compared to that of other animals.
- They have a high rate of disease resistance.
- They readily adapt to any environment.
- Rabbits are reared for their meat which generally called white meat, white meat is more delicious and more nutritious than chicken.
- Rabbit skin is also used to make carpets, jackets, carpets and rugs plus High graded furs have a place in the international market.
Diseases Affecting Rabbits
- Mange this disease is caused by the infestation of lice and it affects the skin. It can be controlled by providing a good housing management and dust affected rabbits with powder.
- Coccidosis this affects the animals’ digestive tracts can be controlled by giving affected rabbits by coccidosis drugs
- Sore hock this affects the rabbits’ limbs and the major symptom is limping can be controlled by use of correct type of mesh for the floor of the pen.
- Bloat this is a result of nutritional imbalance can be controlled by regular feeding with succulent high protein feed.
Ways to Protect Your Rabbits
- Rabbits need protection from adverse environmental conditions predators to ensure high productivity.
- Air quality is of utmost importance to prevent respiratory diseases, such as pasteurellosis and pneumonia and this can be done by having good hygiene, the floor of the rabbitry should be cleaned daily, disinfect the rabbitry regularly to keep it free from germs to prevent contamination, clean the feed and water troughs, isolate sick animals for treatment ,de-worm the rabbits at regular intervals and provide a disinfectant bath or foot dip at the entrance to prevent the introduction of germs into the rabbitry.
- Precautions should be taken from dogs, rats, snakes and cats because they could be potential problems.
Districts that Rear Rabbits in Rwanda
- Kigali city