Ornamental fish farming is one of the most popular hobbies in the world today. The growing interest in aquarium fishes has resulted in steady increase in aquarium fish trade globally. Ornamental fishes form an important commercial component of aquaculture, providing for aesthetic requirement and upkeep of the environment. The fishes reach the marketable size in around 4 to 6 months.
Types of Ornamental Fish
- Viz., Oviparous (egg – layers)
- Viviparous (live-bearers)
Rearing Ornamental Fish
Rearing of Ornamental fish can be taken up normally in cement tanks. Cement tanks are easy to maintain and are durable. One species can be stocked in one tank. However in case of compatible species two or three species can occupy the same tank. Ground water from dug wells is the best for rearing.
Feeding of Ornamental Fish
Young fish are fed mainly with infusoria, artemia, daphnia, mosquito larvae tubifex and blood worms. Feeding is generally done twice in a day or according to requirement. For rearing from fry stage dry prepared feed can be used.
The method of breeding is based on the family characteristics of the fish. The success of breeding depends on the compatibility of pairs, the identification of which is a skill born out of experience. Generally the brooders are selected from the standing crop or purchased and reared separately by feeding them with good live food. Brooders especially egg layers should be discarded after few spawning.
Health Care of Ornamental Fish
- Water exchange is a must for maintaining water quality conducive for the fish health.
- Healthy fish can withstand transportation and fetch good price.
- Chemicals/antibiotics like Methylene Blue, Methylene Yellow, Malachite Green, Ampicilin, Vitamins, Potassium permanganate and Copper sulphate can be used for preventing and treating diseases that are likely to affect Ornamental Fish.