The NAADS Mission
NAADS is envisioned to become a decentralized, farmer owned and private sector serviced extension system contributing to the realization of the agricultural sector development objectives
The NAADS Vision
- To increase farmers’ access to information, knowledge and technology for profitable agricultural development.
- The Strategic Objectives through which NAADS expects to achieve its main mission include the following:.
- To promote market oriented/commercial farming (farming as a business)
- To empower subsistence farmers to access private extension services, technologies and market information
- To create options for financing and the delivery of appropriate advisory and technical services for different types of farmers
- To shift from public to private delivery of advisory services in the first five years of implementation
- To develop private sector capacity and professional capability to supply agricultural advisory services
- To stimulate private sector funding for agricultural advisory services
The guiding principles for NAADS operations:
- Farmer Empowerment
- Fostering Participatory processes
- Mainstreaming Gender
- Deepening decentralization
- Market oriented farming
- Intensifying productivity and profitability
- Managing natural resource productivity
- Increasing institutional efficiency
- Harmonization of public extension oriented programmes
The principle beneficiaries of NAADS programme are the poor farmers and in particular women, youth and people with disabilities. NAADS is expected to generate several types of benefits accruing to the beneficiaries. These are:
- An Agricultural Advisory Service that is more efficient and popular than the previous one.
- An Agricultural Advisory Service that is more relevant and readily helping farmers to raise their incomes in a sustainable way through self-help.
- Growth in agricultural sector as productivity increases opportunities for employment in rural areas as private service providers under NAADS.
- Greater and more reliable food production
- Greater ownership over local programme implementation for greater economic growth in rural areas.