Twin Lakes Burera & Ruhondo These are beautiful lakes located at the base of Mountain Muhabura and close to the border with Uganda. Lake Burera and Lake Ruhondo are surrounded by steep hills and large waterfalls with a backdrop of the Virunga volcanic mountains. Burera and Ruhondo are separated by a 1km wide strip of land. Lake Ruhondo and Lake Burera have a combined area surface of 2800 ha.
Activities at the lake
The activities around the lakes include the following:
- Gorilla watching in the mountains
- Visiting Gorilla tracking centres at Ruhengeri
- Their deep blue waters ringed by steep hills and tall waterfalls with the outlines of the nearby Virunga Volcanoes provide a spectacular backdrop.
- Scenery is breathtaking as the shores of the lakes are heavily terraced and cultivated with crops and volcanoes loom ominously in the distance.
- Fishing at the twin lakes is carried out either from the lake shore or from self-made traditional canoes that consist of a single piece of wood.
- Watching of Birds
Visiting the islands on Lake Ruhondo and Burera by a Boat or canoe ride.