The airport is located in the suburb of Kanombe at the eastern edge of Kigali which is approximately 14 kilometres by road, east of the central business district of the city of Kigali
Kigali International Airport formerly is the primary airport serving Kigali the capital of Rwanda. It is the main air gateway for all destinations in the country and in addition serves as a transit airport for Goma and Bukavu in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo
There are three terminals at Kigali. The main two storey terminal building can handle 6 small to mid-size aircraft and can also handle up to a Boeing 747 jet. There are two helicopter pads with access to the main runway. There airport has also a cargo terminal.
The airport has duty free shops, restaurants, airport transport, airport information centre, forex bureaus and free internet.
Civil Aviation Authority
Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) was created by law no 21/2004 of 10/08/2004 to take on the management, operation and maintenance of airport infrastructure. RCAA Responsibilities include;
- The licensing of aviation personnel
- Certification of aircraft, air operators and aerodromes
- The control and supervision of licensed personnel, certified products and approved organizations
- The provision of air navigation services (inclusive of meteorological services, aeronautical telecommunications, search and rescue services, charts and the distribution of information)
- Aircraft accident and incident investigation
- The management and monitoring of air space
- The management, maintenance and operation of airport