Kigali City is located in centre of Rwanda and it became a capital city at independence in 1962. It has rapidly grown to become the economic, cultural and transport hub of Rwanda. It is Rwanda’s most important business centre and main port of entry. The city has a population of over 1.1 million in 2012.
The city is a home of a number of hotels, restaurants, memorials and museums among other things.
About the city
Kigali City is well organized and clean city and it won an international award for being clean in 2011. The city has tidy gardens and no rubbish on its streets. The residents take part in cleaning the city every last Saturday of every month.
The Kigali City is run by the city council headed by the Mayor of Kigali. The city council has the following responsibilities
- Coordinating the activities of strategic plan.
- Coordinating development activities of the city.
- Follow up of the implementation of the national policy .
- Ensuring the security of the people.
- Providing services which are delivered at administrative structures in the City of Kigali.
Information about Kigali City has been organised to include the following
24 Hour Service
Art, craft & gift shops
Leisure and Sports Centres
Pubs in Kigali City