The Institute of Policy analysis and Research (IPAR –Rwanda) is a fast growing indigenous, independent, not-for-profit Rwandan Institution. IPAR seeks to enhance evidence based policy making by conducting timely, relevant, high-quality, policy-oriented analysis and research. It also promotes a culture of debate and dialogue on policy issues in Rwanda.
IPAR aims at developing and strengthening of sound policies and responsive governance in order to achieve economic growth and development ,which policies can be available to government, civil society and development partners about the pressing social, economic and political issues facing Rwanda, and to provide real time solutions to the everyday challenges of its people.
- To contribute to the evidence base available to policy-makers by conducting and commissioning timely, relevant, high-quality and policy-oriented analysis and research, and by building a documentation centre to manage the knowledge that already exists but is often hard to find.
- To develop the skills of the policy community by offering targeted capacity development and training in policy analysis and research to external institutions, including ministries, Universities and development partners.
- To promote a culture of debate and dialogue by hosting public events, workshops, seminars, conferences and other discussion forums.
IPAR is governed by a General Assembly and a Board of Directors and the Board of Directors oversees the implementation of the programs and activities of the institute, and monitors the utilization of resources.
IPAR conducts and commissions timely relevant high-quality and policy-oriented analysis and research.
IPAR envisages conducting researches and analyses that are mainly informed by stakeholders. Thus, every after two years IPAR conducts a stakeholder engagement exercise as an instrument for developing relevant research and building relationships.
IPAR has built networks such the Economic Policy Research Network (EPRN), which is a joint partnership of IPAR, World Bank, National Institute of Statistics, Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning and the National University of Rwanda, international partner institution are Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR) in UK, African Economic Research Consortium (AERC) and others
Currently IPAR receives its core funding from the African Capacity Building Foundation (ACBF) and from commissioned work. IPAR also gets additional funding from IDRC, which goes towards policy development. In addition, other prospective funders include: World Bank, African Development Bank and the African Economic Research Consortium
Key priorities over the 2012-16 planning period include
- producing timely high quality research reports and policy briefs of high quality and relevant to the needs of policy makers in Rwanda
- increasing the number of well qualified senior research fellows
- building the capacity of local research staff so that they can undertake research and policy analysis under minimum supervision
- establishing EPRN so that it is providing a regular programme of activities including debates, deliberative forums and capacity building
- holding a research conference annually to enable the dissemination of research finding to inform public policy in Rwanda and in particular inform the annual government retreat
- putting in place a Communications and Outreach Strategy to build the profile of IPAR and promote its research findings to government and key stakeholders and undertake advocacy work
- having a fully functioning Learning Resource Centre
- increasing the ratio of research to non research staff
- increasing the ratio of income generation to core funding
- improving organisational capacity, developing a total quality approach and achieving an internationally recognised kite mark
- further developing strategic external and international collaborations in support of developing our work
- providing in-house staff development to build the capabilities of all our staff
- Put in place an HR policy and strategy and ensure the full implementation of SDPR.
- Working to further enhance the Brand of IPAR and ensuring that promotional activities enunciate and enhance that brand identity.