The Republic of Burundi’s revenue is mainly inform of the following
- Domestic revenues
- Customs revenue
- Non-fiscal revenues
Challenges in revenue collection
- High levels of alleged corruption in revenue collection system
- Inadequate capacity and technical skills
- Poverty among the taxpayers
- Revenue under performance
- Lack of Transparency in the usage of taxes
- Inadequate record keeping by the authorities.
- Tax payer’s compliance
- Businesses are largely informal
- Ignorance about rights and obligations.
- Low tax base due to low economic activities.
- Lack of accountability in public utilities and goods.
- Resistance to change