Fisheries Sub Sector
The fisheries sub sector has a goal to contribute to the strengthening of the
food security with specific objective of improving the incomes of
actors in the fishery sub sector in a sustainable manner.
Main activities under fisheries sub sector
- Capacity building activities to fishers especially in lakes management and sensitizing them on sustainable fishing methods.
- Watershed protection activities around 17 inland lakes.
- Assisting fish farmers in the rehabilitation and creation of fish ponds.
- Rehabilitation of Kigembe fish farm into a modern fish hatchery.
- Construction of landing sites in order to reduce post harvest losses and improve fish commercialization.
- Carrying out lakes restocking with Tilapia niloticus.
- Purchasing Tilapia niloticus brood stocks to supply to the farmers for the 1st stocking phase.
- Assisting fish farmers to get the 1st cycle feeds and supplying them with 8 units of small fish feed making machines.
- Training and organizing study tours to fishers and fish farmers in order to acquire more knowledge and skills on commercial fish farming.
Achievements in fisheries subsector
- 15 inland lakes with a total surface area of 15,380 ha have been restocked with 381,113 of Tilapia niloticus fingerlings.
- Established watershed protection of the 17 inland lakes
- 65 cooperatives have been trained to sustainably manage the lakes ecosystem.
- 25 engine boats were purchased to support lakes surveillance in order to reduce malpractices in fishing including poachers and use of illegal gears
- Rehabilitation of Kigembe into a modern fish hatchery with a capacity of producing atleast 10 million fingerlings per year.