Effects of poor system
- Polythene waste is dumped in all available land space in the city and they end up entering the soil after some time. The polythene blocks passage of minerals salts, water and oxygen in the soil and the blocked soil is unable to support any crops. This blockage is causing a lot of problems to the peasants farmers who leave within the city boundary.
- The water systems like springs, ponds, rivers get blocked as a result of continued damping of garbage materials. This affects the water flow resulting floods and the spread of water borne diseases.
- The scenery of the various places affected by uncollected garbage looks messy. The beautiful natural environment is lost as a result of the garbage. This state of affairs may scare away many tourists and visitors to the city.
Challenges of poor system
- KCCA does not have adequate resources including funding to put a proper domestic waste management KCCA lacks funds to purchase incinerators to burn the non-biodegradable polythene and domestic waste with minimum production of fumes
- The public is not sensitive about the importance of proper garbage collection and disposal
- The residents who improperly dump their garbage are not punished.
- The residents do not take it as part of their responsibility of keeping the city clean.
Solutions to the poor system
- Educating the masses of the importance of keeping the city clean and proper ways of collecting and disposing of the waste.
- The residents should participate in cleaning the city and in the process they will learn to keep it clean
- Stringent fines should be introduced to punish those who are caught disposing the garbage irregularly.
- Setting up adequate waste handling and disposal facilities and a proper disposal location with proper management. This will include installing garbage collection containers in all areas of the city
- Sorting the garbage before disposing of it as part polythene, footwear, glass, cans and others can be recycled or used.
- Putting good incentives in place to attract private investors in the waste management system.
- Silent features of the waste management should be introduced in the education system.