Challenges with Fibre optics
- There is a challenge of managing capital and operating costs while building a future proof network.
- The single mode fiber optic that is used its cost is relatively high compared to multimode fiber.
- Difficulties of connection between 2 fibers.
- Difficult derivations.
- High cost of installation fragility within the country.
- Depending on application and environment, optical fibers need to be coated for both mechanical and chemical protection which is expensive for the country.
- Increased optical attenuation from hydrogen induced losses (hydrogen darkening).
- There is decreased mechanical strength due to moisture corrosion and chemical attack.
- The main challenge for these fiber sensors is to identify and differentiate between noise and actual acoustic event.