The challenges of waste management include the following;
- The disposal sites are over flowing because of big volumes being produced.
- There is lack of proper facility and treatment skills on the landfill to dispose off the waste. Discarding of waste on the site is creating new hills of waste.
- Some chemical waste is improperly disposed of in an unsuitable area or disposed off in rivers that traverse the urban centres and other wetlands.
- Kigali has no central treatment facility for sewage and no system of sewers
- Some septic tanks in residential homes are not accessible by the desludging vehicles so manual methods are employed which can be a health risk.
- The sludge in urban areas is often not appropriately treated and is usually disposed off in an unhygienic way in a dumpsite.
- Sewage from large installations like schools, hotels, prisons and hospitals are disposed of on a daily basis in untreated form into areas which are not approved.