The challenges facing the public sector include the following;
- Management of the shift from a highly centralized, bureaucratized state to a decentralized one using ICT.
- Limited skills and a high turnover of staff.
- High degree of resistance to change in the country.
- Weak links between public sector reforms and capacity building risks stifling reform efforts.
- Rwanda’s Public Sector need to be accompanied by institutional assessments, new processes and training which still a challenge to the sector is.
- Inadequate capacities for strategic planning, policy and project design and implementation due to centralized and top down structures.
- Government agencies are insufficiently responsive to the needs to local communities.
- Inadequate financial accountability in the sector.
- Weak coordination and ownership of capacity building initiatives which are often implemented in isolation and driven by donors.