Challenges in the Education Sector in Burundi
- Lack of infrastructure following the civil war disruptions
- Shortage of teachers, both qualitative and quantitative at all levels
- Low completion rate is only 46 percent and as such enrollments in secondary and tertiary education are much lower
- Inadequate quantitative and qualitative infrastructure and teaching materials.
- Increase in dropout rates are attributable to the poor quality of infrastructure and to parents’ lack of resources to meet costs related to educating their children.
- Education at all levels suffers from a lack of qualified teachers
- Inadequate resources in spite of efforts made in recent years to increase budget allocations to the sector.