The following are the challenges facing the country in the area of science, technology and innovation:
- Limited financial resources from both public and private sectors to invest in the sector
- Limited human resources available for Science Technology and Innovation Development. This mainly due to fewer scientists coming out of the academic institutions.
- Many students at ‘O’ and ‘A’ level avoid science and prefer to do very well art subjects. There is a need to change the teaching of science subjects in our institutions of learning
- There are few engineers, doctors, technicians and artisans available on the labour market.
- The current government funding modality of the medium term expenditure framework (MTEF) which is based on the need for immediate outputs and returns to the economy. STI requires a different funding arrangement that entails sustained long term financing commitments in order to realise its long-term contribution to the GDP.