The challenges faced by the energy sector
The challenges faced by the energy sector include the following:
- Biomass energy source remains dominant for cooking and other household uses .The supply side has to be more productively managed and charcoal more efficiently produced and used.
- The country requires funding for the development of the energy sector. There are unfavorable conditions attached to the loans and grants from suppliers of funding
- There is an urgent need of developing adequate local expertise to management the energy sector
- The high costs of transports of imported oil products for the production of power. The transports are higher than in the neighboring countries.
- The challenge of ensuring efficient and safe use of oil products especially in the transport sector.
- There is insufficient standardization and quality control of petroleum products and inadequate enforcement and uncoordinated safety measures.
- There is need for awareness by both consumers and producers of the renewable energy alternatives and technology availability.
- There is low consumption of commercial energy as people still rely on wood fuel
- Low generation capacity to meet the increasing demand and low access to electricity
- Lack of sufficient institutional, legal & regulatory framework and human capacity
- Ineffective modalities for implementation and management of shared generation resources in case Rwanda was to partner with other neighbouring countries.