The causes of unemployment are as follows;
- Lack of skills and knowledge that would give young people advantage to find employment.
- Inadequate land in Rwanda yet the population is high
- Poor attitudes by the youth towards work especially in agriculture.
- Strict laws in the country.
- Rapid changes in technology
Steps to reduce on Unemployment
Government of Rwanda is targeting to reduce unemployment rate to 4 percent from the current 8 percent in seven years through the following approaches;
- Formation and support of cooperatives which will lead to creation of employment in rural areas
- Putting more emphasis on vocational training,
In Rwanda, on average between 100,000 and 140,000 new jobs are created per year out of a target of 200,000 new jobs by the year 2017.