Rwanda’s relatively cooler climate is favorable farming high quality of carrots. The excess carrots are exported to various countries in the region and beyond.
Areas that grow carrots
The areas that grow carrots include the following:
The varieties of carrots
The varieties of carrots grown in Rwanda include the following:
- Royal Chantenay
- Baby carrot
Uses of carrots
The carrots have the following uses:
- They provide a source of revenue for the local farmers
- Carrots are both eaten fresh and when cooked.
- Carrots are rich in vitamins A, B, C and E.
- The country earns foreign exchange through exporting of carrots
- Carrots can be used to make carrot juice
The challenges include the following:
- The local farmers lack capacity to practice modern methods of farming including irrigation
- The local farmers lack capacity to add value to their carrots
- The farmers lack capital to buy inputs and economic