Agriculture is the main economic activity for the people of Rwanda providing employment to about 86% of the total population. The sector contributes 47% of Rwanda’s Gross Domestic Product and accounts for about 80% of the foreign earnings from the exports of the primary products of coffee, tea, hides and skins, pyrethrum and horticulture. Over 80% of the population derives their survival from sector.
Role of Agriculture sector
- Source of employment whereby 86% of the economically active population is employed in the sector
- Agriculture has contributed greatly towards government effort in combating poverty and food insecurity within the country.
- The sector contributes to the gross domestic product of the country
- It also continues to promote agribusiness clusters and market integration, assisting 700,000 smallholder farmers to increase their incomes
- The sector is a source of foreign exchange to the country